Jacek Proniewicz travel blog

picture and movies from my travel

Archive for ‘December, 2012’

Architecture of Zakopane ,Zakopane style

Zakopane is a flourishing winter sports centre at the foot of the Tatra Mountains. Its commonly called The winter capital of Poland. However until the 19th century Zakopane was only a tiny village. It does not appear in history until the 17th century. However during the 19th century Zakopane grew larger and the Old Church, a wooden church was built in 1851.

Zakopane really started to grow in the late 19th century. Because of its hight altitude people came to Zakopane to breath the fresh mountain air for their health. (Zakopane is the highest town in Poland). It was promoted by Dr Tytus Chalubinski (1820-1889). The Tatra Museum opened in 1889. In 1899 the railway reached Zakopane making it easier for visitors to reach. As a result Zakopane grew rapidly.

In the early 20th century Zakopane became a fashionable place for artists and intellectuals. Zakopane became a vibrant town.

Meanwhile 1918 when Poland became independent again Zakopane became an important skiing resort. Furthermore in 1930 the great composer Karol Szymanowski (1882-1937) went to live in a house called Villa Atma in Zakopane. Willa Atma became a museum in 1976. The great writer Kornel Makuszynski (1884–1953) was frequent visitor to Zakopane. When he died he was buried in the town.

Another famous inhabitant of Zakopane was the artist Stanislaw Witkiewicz (1851-1915), who was known as Wicktaky. He was also an architect and created a style of architecture called the Zakopane style. The first building in the style was the Willa Koliba in 1893. Witkiewicz also designed Willa Jedlami, which was built in 1897.

A cable car to Mount Kasprowy Wierch was built in 1936. Gubalowka Hill Funicular was built in 1938 and by 1939 Zakopane was a town of 20,000 people. The Festival of Highland Folklore was first held in Zakopane in 1965 and has been held there every summer since.

In the late 20th century Zakopane continued to thrive. The Witkacy Theatre was founded in 1984. The Wladyslaw Hasior Gallery opened in 1984. (Wladyslaw Hasior (1928 –1999) was a famous Polish artist. He is buried in Zakopane). The Museum of the Zakopane Style opened in 1993 in the Koliba Villa. Meanwhile The Museum of the Tatras National Park opened in 1957.

Today Zakopane has a population of about 28,000. Despite its small size its very popular with tourists and gets about 2 million visitors a year.

20121225-181210.jpg

20121225-181234.jpg

20121225-181220.jpg

20121225-181200.jpg

20121225-181246.jpg

20121225-181259.jpg

20121225-181312.jpg

20121225-181322.jpg

20121225-181401.jpg

20121225-181348.jpg

20121225-181418.jpg

20121225-181432.jpg

20121225-181447.jpg

20121225-181509.jpg

20121225-181538.jpg

20121225-181551.jpg

20121225-181632.jpg

20121225-181643.jpg

20121225-181657.jpg

20121225-181721.jpg

20121225-181733.jpg

20121225-181803.jpg

20121225-181916.jpg

20121225-181333.jpg

20121225-181709.jpg

20121225-181620.jpg

20121225-181524.jpg

Advertisements

Szczecin during second war world ||

During the 1939 invasion of Poland, which started World War II in Europe, Stettin was the base for the German 2nd Motorized Infantry Division, which cut across the Polish Corridor and was later used in 1940 as an embarcation point for Operation Weserübung, Germany’s assault on Denmark and Norway.
On 15 October 1939, neighbouring municipalities were amalgamated into Stettin, creating Groß-Stettin with about 380,000 inhabitants in 1940. The city had become the third-largest German city by area, after Berlin and Hamburg.
As the war started, the number of non-Germans in the city increased as slave workers were brought in. The first transports came in 1939 from Bydgoszcz, Toruń and Łódż. They were mainly used in a synthetic silk factory near Szczecin.The next wave of slave workers was brought in 1940, in addition to PoWs who were used for work in the agricultural industry.According to German police reports from 1940, 15,000 Polish slave workers lived within the city.
During the war, 135 forced labour camps for slave workers were established in the city. Most of the 25,000 slave workers were Poles, but Czechs, Italians, Frenchmen and Belgians, as well as Dutch citizens, were also enslaved in the camps.
In February 1940, the Jews of Stettin were deported to the Lublin reservation. International press reports emerged, describing how the Nazis forced Jews, regardless of age, condition and gender, to sign away all property and loaded them on to trains headed to the camp, escorted by members of the SA and SS. Due to publicity given to the event, German institutions ordered such future actions to be made in a way unlikely to attract public notice.

Throughout the war, Stettin (Szczecin) was a major port of disembarcation for Baltic Germans returning to the ‘fatherland’, and later in the war those fleeing the advancing Soviet Red Army.
Allied air raids in 1944 and heavy fighting between the German and Soviet armies destroyed 65% of Stettin’s buildings and almost all of the city centre, the seaport and local industries. Polish Home Army intelligence assisted in pinpointing targets for Allied bombing in the area of Stettin. The city itself was covered by the Home Army’s “Bałtyk” structure and Polish resistance infiltrated Stettin’s naval yards. Other activities of the resistance consisted of smuggling people to Sweden.
In April 1945, Nazi authorities of the city issued an order of evacuation and most of the city’s German population fled. The Soviet Red Army captured the city on 26 April. Stettin was virtually deserted when it fell, with only approx. 6,000 Germans in the city, when Polish authorities tried to gain control.In the following month the Polish administration was forced to leave again twice. Finally the permanent handover occurred on 5 July 1945. In the meantime, part of the German population had returned, believing it might become part of the Soviet occupation zone of Germany and the Soviet authorities had already appointed the German Communists Erich Spiegel and Erich Wiesner as mayors.Stettin is located mostly west of the Oder river, which was considered to become Poland’s new western border, placing Stettin in East Germany. This would have been in accordance with the Potsdam Agreement between the victorious Allied Powers, which envisaged the new border to be in “a line running from the Baltic Sea immediately west of Swinemünde, and thence along the Oder River “. Because of the returnees, the German population of the town swelled to 84,000 again.The mortality rate was at 20%, primarily due to starvation.However, Stettin and the mouth of the Oder River (German: Stettiner Zipfel) became Polish on 5 July 1945, which had been decided in a treaty signed on 26 July 1944 between the Soviet Union and the Soviet-controlled Polish Committee of National Liberation (PKWN) (also known as “the Lublin Poles,” as contrasted with the London-based Polish government-in-exile).On 4 October 1945, the decisive land border of Poland was established west of the 1945 line,but excluded the Police (Pölitz) area, the Oder river itself and the Szczecin port, which remained under Soviet administration.The Oder river was handed over to Polish administration in September 1946, and the port was subsequently handed over between February 1946 and May 1954.
20121222-091845.jpg20121222-091852.jpg20121222-091907.jpg20121222-091921.jpg20121222-091938.jpg20121222-091946.jpg20121222-091900.jpg20121222-092001.jpg
(Photo ,info Wikipedia )

20121222-092453.jpg

Szczecin ,Poland

In the north-western part of Poland, where the Odra river lazily continues its journey into the Baltic Sea and where you can find the alluring open spaces of Lake Dabie, lies a charming city, fuli of greenery. Here, the past intertwines with the present. That city is Szczecin – once a proud seat of the House of Griffins, a dynasty of Pomeranian dukes, and today a metropolis, teeming with life, offering a whole archipelago of tourist attractions to its visitors.
The city of a thousand sensations
Szczecin is fuli of surprises, magical places, it offers unique experiences. Just open your eyes and listen to its heartbeat… Stand in the shadow of its City Hali, sit down for a minute in the Castle courtyard, look up into the sky at the base of the Szczecin Cathedral, with its tower spire reaching high into the clouds. Watch the panoramic view of the city from the 22nd floor of a modern office block, and then visit the underground tunnels. Take a walk the forest line, swim across the lake… Visit Szczecin – discover a city that will leave you with a thousand fond memories.

20121221-213534.jpg

20121221-213541.jpg

20121221-213549.jpg

20121221-213557.jpg

20121221-213605.jpg

20121221-213617.jpg

20121221-213626.jpg

Zakopane and Chocholow

Occupying a valley between the fearsome Tatra mountains and the hillside settlement of Gubałówka the town of Zakopane owes its status to one man – Tytus Chalubinski. Visiting for the first time in 1873 our protagonist was knocked out by the mountain scenery, crisp air, strange jodhpur-wearing local chaps and picture book beauty. He returned to Warsaw full of the glories of the Zakopane, and couldn’t wait to let the cat out of the bag. Within years what had been an obscure sheep-rearing community had been transformed into Poland’s favourite mountain spa – the first wave of visitors were looking to cure their breathing ailments, and they were swiftly followed by artists and authors searching for inspiration of both a spiritual and liquid kind. Composers Szymankowski and Monuiszko and literary figures like Tetmajer and Witkacy all kept quarters here, as did a pre-revolutionary Lenin, adding to the avant-garde legend that was growing around the town. By the outbreak of WWII it had become one of Poland’s most high-profile destinations, and it’s a reputation that it still enjoys. The year round population of the resort stands at 28,000, but the three million visitors who arrive annually do a good job of making it feel there’s a couple of zeroes missing from the figure.
The best ski-runs in the country can be viewed from your hotel room, and as such this place often finds itself labeled ‘Poland’s winter capital’. But it’s much more than that; there’s no such thing as an off-season in Zakopane, and the warmer months see the streets sink under the weight of an endless torrent of human flotsam. Bearing the brunt of this tourist assault squad is Krupówki, the principal thoroughfare that cuts through town. At times you can almost feel the cobbles wobbling under their burden, and you can’t help but think if all the break-dancing teams, jugglers, puppet masters and bongo drum players were part of Chalubinski’s masterplan. Thankfully, peer behind the trashy discos and endless stalls selling inflatable aliens and you’ll discover a town that fully justifies the white knuckle bus journey to reach it. Stray off Krupówki and the casual tourist is rewarded with postcard wooden architecture, a handful of great museums and superb cooking that will leave you needing an airlift back to bed. It soon becomes clear why so many people choose Zakopane as their holiday destination – do the booze and dance moves by night, of course, but don’t forget to get adventurous. Take to the hills in the company of eagles, chamois and marmots, take to the year round ski slope, take to museums and take to the forgotten timber-clad streets. Within a flash you’ll be taking to Zakopane, and planning your next trip before you’ve even left.

20121220-100614.jpg

20121220-100623.jpg

20121220-100633.jpg

20121220-100648.jpg

20121220-100659.jpg

20121220-100711.jpg

20121220-100726.jpg

20121220-100749.jpg

20121220-100602.jpg

20121220-100537.jpg

20121220-100552.jpg
/>20121220-100801.jpg</

20121220-100826.jpg

20121220-100907.jpg

20121220-100812.jpg

20121220-100842.jpg

20121220-100856.jpg
CHOCHOLOW

The village of Chochołów in the region of Podhale has a rich history beginning early in the 16th century. The first known document containing reference to the village is the 1592 privilege issued by King Sigismund III of the Vasa dynasty, granting Bartłomiej Chochołowski hereditarily the post of village administrator for his participation in the expedition against Muscovy. Chochołów is evidently an old village, with a long record of engagement in important historic events. Besides Bartłomiej, quite a few Chochołów village administrators distinguished themselves by their courage in the royal army. During the 1655–56 Swedish invasion known as the Deluge, the Chochołów villagers fought valiantly in the war under the command of Krzysztof Żegocki the starosta [a kind of royal sheriff] of Babimost. Successive Polish kings confirmed the Chochołów village administrators’ rights and privileges. The people of Chochołów also had their share in the 1768–72 Confederation of Bar.
The village owes its fame in the region of Podhale to the Chochołów Uprising of 1846, which was a short-lived armed action against Austria during the Cracow revolution preceding the 1848 revolution called the Springtime of the Nations. The 1846 events had taken a long time to mature; not without meaning was the 1832 visit to the region of Podhale of the poet Seweryn Goszczyński, who had lived in hiding since after the November Uprising of 1830/31. He was founder of the clandestine Association of the Polish Nation set up in Cracow, which operated in all three zones of divided Poland with a view to rising against the partitioning powers. Also important was the Association activists’ campaigning. The plan to engage Chochołów in an uprising against Austria was born as a result of the local conspirators’ contacts with the emissaries arriving in the region of Podhale. These had got in touch with the local patriotic activists, teacher and organist Jan Kanty Andrusikiewicz, RC priest Leopold Kmietowicz of Chochołów, and another RC priest, Michał Głowacki, ‘Światopełk’, of Poronin, all of whom were later leaders of the Chochołów Uprising.
The date of the outbreak of the uprising against Austria was fixed by the National Government in Cracow: it was to start on 21 February. The Austrian authorities had learnt about the plan and the Austrian troops entered Cracow on 18 February. Members of the National Government were hesitant as to whether call off the uprising but the news had not reached Chochołów, which was a long way away. On the evening of 21 February, armed insurgents under Andrusikiewicz and Father Kmietowicz’s command attacked the post of the Austrian Frontier Guards in Chochołów. After disarming the guards, Andrusikiewicz declared the outbreak of an uprising. The insurgents proceeded to Sucha Góra across the Galician-Hungarian border, planning to come by resources for the needs of the movement in the local customs house that they easily seized. One of the guards even joined the insurgents. The next day was spent on recruiting volunteers and getting the weapons ready. On the evening of 22 February, about five hundred peasants recruited in the neighbouring villages of Witów, Dzianisz and Ciche gathered in Chochołów. About midnight, they faced an unexpected assault launched by the customs guards under the command of Romuald Fiutowski the officer of the finance guards of Nowy Targ, aided by villagers of Czarny Dunajec misled into joining them by the Austrians. The insurgent leaders Father Kmietowicz and Andrusikiewicz were wounded in the skirmish. Further resistance was pointless because of the approach of reinforcements to suppress the uprising. The Chochołów Uprising leaders and participants suffered severe punishment. Many of them were imprisoned in Spielberg, Kufstein and Wiśnicz. Father Kmietowicz was sentenced to death, which sentence was later changed to many years in prison. Andrusikiewicz and others were captured and sentenced to close confinement. All were freed during the 1848 revolution.

20121220-102342.jpg

20121220-102355.jpg

20121220-102406.jpg

20121220-102433.jpg

20121220-102445.jpg

20121220-102459.jpg

20121220-102524.jpg

20121220-102511.jpg

20121220-102549.jpg

20121220-102418.jpg

20121220-102535.jpg

Switzerland

After 1460 days on the sea ,yesterday at 4 am I arrived to Switzerland .Little village called Chateau-D-Oex .Situated at around 1000 metres in altitude, half-way between the classy resort of Gstaad in the Bernese Oberland and the small town of Gruyères in the canton of Fribourg, lie the two places of Château-d’Oex and Rougemont. The holiday region of Pays-d’Enhaut in the canton of Vaud is linked to the Lake Geneva region by the Col des Mosses and by the Montreux – Bernese Oberland Railway. Thanks to its favourable micro-climate, Château-d’Oex has developed into a hot-air ballooning metropolis.
But the older traditions too have been retained: accordingly, the much-loved Alpine cheese of Etivaz is still made over an open wood fire. In Rougemont, many chalets dating back a hundred years bear testimony to the folk art of the region.
In both summer and winter, Château-d’Oex and Rougemont present a diverse range of holiday experiences and sporting activities. Wonderful mountainscapes and old decorated chalets are typical for the villages of the Pays-d’Enhaut.

For the first time after 4 years spending on the sea ,I slept in normal bad without falling down on the floor ,having normal shower with unlimited amount of hot water ,using normal toilet ,all of this is new for me ,for the next month I must adapt to the luxury which is offering dry land .Now is time to have some rest ,do some of the winter activity ,go back home for Christmas see family ,and after all of this back to the real home which is sailing vessel Pangaea .

20121216-184529.jpg

20121216-184615.jpg

20121216-184603.jpg

20121216-184544.jpg

20121216-184639.jpg

20121216-184704.jpg

20121216-184626.jpg

20121216-184651.jpg

20121216-184734.jpg

20121216-184747.jpg

20121216-184721.jpg

20121216-184759.jpg

20121216-184356.jpg

20121216-184344.jpg

20121216-184407.jpg

20121216-184517.jpg

20121216-184451.jpg

20121216-184440.jpg

20121216-184428.jpg

Monaco

20121214-183122.jpg

20121214-183056.jpg

20121214-183108.jpg

20121214-183136.jpg

20121214-183150.jpg

20121214-183203.jpg

20121214-183218.jpg

20121214-183231.jpg

20121214-183245.jpg

20121214-183301.jpg

20121214-183318.jpg

20121214-183332.jpg Five years ago we start Pangaea expedition here in Monaco ,crossing all seas all oceans visiting all continents .all together more then 120.000 Nm.And yesterday officially with Prince Albert we finish our journey around the world .Time for little holiday now .

20121214-183348.jpg

On the way to Monaco from Porto Rotondo

 

 

It felt like our departure from Porto Rotondo in the Costa Smeralda region of Sardinia was overdue, although we will always have fond memories of the friendly locals and the superb food and wine. We set sail for the east coast of Corsica, and as soon as we were out of the protected inlet in Sardinia we started to experience a moderate wind and ocean swell. Within minutes we could see the mountains of Corsica which were surprisingly covered with snow. It’s always a spectacular sight having the combination of snow, the ocean and sunny skies. For the rest of the day we sailed parallel to the east coast of Corsica with generally pleasant conditions. As soon as we had passed the northern most tip of Corsica, the signs of dark clouds on the horizon and a rapidly changing ocean were ominous in the least. By this time night had fallen and the moon shone on larger and more powerful swells. Our destination was the Portofino coast in Italy and although we were 80 nautical miles away, in the midst of heavy seas it seemed an endless journey. The French and Italian coast guard began to radio all boats instructing them to seek shelter. We experienced a night of heavy seas. Our arrival in Portofino was on schedule and we were relieved to anchor in the beautiful bay in Portofino. Within minutes we were however being screamed at by an irate Italian from the marina that our vessel was too large to anchor in Portofino. I felt it was rather a pity that the local Portofinians had been deprived by the local municipal bureaucracy of the site of Pangaea’s presence for at least a day. We immediately proceeded to the much larger marina of Santa Margharita and were granted mooring for a few hours only. We quickly disembarked and walked through the beautiful town of Santa Margharita looking for a place to have breakfast. The shops were beginning to open and some of the local women were on their morning errands as five ravenous, unshaven and probably a bit dirty seamen prowled the streets looking for a suitable cafe. Within an hour we were making our way back to the boat as we needed to press on to Genova, a much larger port where hopefully Pangaea would feel more welcome. We sailed a further 23 nautical miles through some large swells again into Marina Aeroporto in Genova.We are now in port with the ‘big dogs’ and its now gin palace boats on steroids here. Ironically these boats are built for show and would have been swallowed up in the seas we sailed through yesterday. An early dinner at the marina with a bottle of Chianti went down well and more so for some of us as we were served by an attractive African Italian lady…..

20121205-102126.jpg

20121205-102134.jpg

20121205-102144.jpg

20121205-102154.jpg

20121205-102205.jpg

20121205-102229.jpg

20121205-102244.jpg

20121205-102215.jpg

20121205-102255.jpg

%d bloggers like this: