The Franschhoek Motor Museum offers visitors a special opportunity to look back at more than 100 years of motoring history with its unique and exciting collection of vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles and memorabilia in the magnificent setting of L’Ormarins.
Across the length and breadth of Southern Africa, only one place can adequately portray the evolution of the automobile, The Franschhoek Motor Museum. The museum’s collection exceeds 220 vehicles – ranging from a 1898 Beeston motor tricycle to a 2003 Ferrari Enzo supercar – and more than 80 exhibits will be on view at any one time, displayed in four de-humidified halls with a total floor area of 2700 m², and presented in chronological order.
MERCEDES -BENZ 280 SE, 1972
Introduced at the Frankfurt Auto show in 1956 the W 108/W109 was seen as the Mercedes- Benz upper class model,available at first in 250 and 300 SEL but later the 250 was replaced by the super reliable 280 S and SE range of engines .
Gone were fins of is predecessor giving the car a smoother and more refined look,it was also 17 % large with lager windscreen and windows.
Auto Union was the name of the so -called “German Generel Motors” which came into being in 1932by the merger between Horch,Wanderer.Audi and DKW . In 1959elegant sports coupe called 1000S was edded to the range ,and when introduction of the DKW Junior became imminent,the bigger DKW’s were renamed Auto Union
Three cylinders in line ,water cooled ,two stroke 980 cm3,55 ps at 4500 r/min.
Four speed gearbox with shift lever on steering columnFront wheel drive with freewheel
Independent front suspension with transverse half elliptical leaf spring and wishbones .
BMW 502, 1953
Big and sturdy machines ,the 500 series were BMW’s mainstay from 1951 until 1964.They were nicknamed “Batoque Angels”because flowing lines reminded people of the carven wooden figures of the baroque period.
The 502 was Germany’s first 8 cylinder car since the War and was known for its speed and acceleration.
8- cylinder normally aspirated engine
49,4 kW ,4800 r/min
4 speed manual transmission .rear weel drive
Top speed 159,3 km/h
This model ,nicknamed “Adenauer” after Konrad Adenauer ,the German Chancellor at that time ,was the most expensive German sedan produced at the time ,being the preferred vehicle for high ranking Goverment officials and diplomats.
Six cylinders in line ,single overhead camshaft ,two Solex carburetors
2996 cm3, 115 PS ,4600 r/min.
Four speed manual gearbox,gear shift lever on steering column.
X frame oval section chassis,independent front suspension with coil springs and wishbones,independent rear suspension with wing axel and coil springs .Electrically operated torsion bar leveling device at the rear .
OPEL OLYMPIA 1950
Technologically,German’s automobile industry led the rest during the late 1930’S.
German’s cars had independent suspension at a time when most of the British and French cars were cart -sprung.and Germany were also at the forefront of design.A typical example is the Opel Olympia,which had debuted in 1935,sporting independent front suspension and a unit body.
Four cylinders in line ,Opel Carter carburetor
1488 cm3,37 PS,3500r/min
Three speed gearbox,shift lever on steering column
Monocoque body construction
Hydraulic brakes on all 4 wheels
It is almost impossible to picture the devastation in Germany following World War ||.The Allied bombs flattened entire factories and the tolling that existed was totally inappropriate for civilian production.Component suppliers were in the same boat and the modest production that rolled out of those factories was a miracle indeed.Mercedes was fortunate in that the only passenger car built in those troubled times .The 170D was the only diesel -engined car available at that time and technologically far ahead of the cars in its class.
Four cylinders in line ,water cooled,overhead valves,diesel
1697 cm3,32 PS,3200r/min
Four speed gearbox with shift lever on floor
Six cylinder,1971 cm3,80HP,5000r/min with triple Solex carburetors
Normally aspirated,four manual transmission
Top speed 150 km/h
130 H TWO -DOOR. 1935
The 130H with his engine at the rear ,made its debut in 1934.It was first Mercedes -Benz with a central tubular frame .Like the 170 ,it had independent suspension all round and hydraulic drakes on all four wheels.Sels were disappointingly low and production was terminated in 1936.
Four cylinders ,side valves,water cooled,engine mounted at the rear
Four speed forward,fourth gear overdrive .Engine,differential and gearbox bolted together as the unit.
Foot operated one shot chassis lubrication system
Top speed 80 km/h
Only 4298 were made